Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know if I am eligible?
To be eligible for the prize, you must meet these criteria within the last 12 months:
- Be between the ages of 13-19 on the submission deadline date (December 5th, 2013)
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of Canada
- Have donated money, goods, services or your time to support a charitable cause, for at least one year
- Provide at least one example of the results or “impact” of your actions
- Ensure your fundraising or volunteer activity is associated with a registered Canadian charity. You may want to visit the CRA website to view a list of registered charities: www.cra-arc.gc.ca/charitylists.
- Provide the name and contact information of the registered charity you supported, for validation of your activities
- The Contest is not open to employees and agents of Mackenzie Financial Corporation and StudentAwards ("Mackenzie" and “StudentAwards”, also referred to as the "Sponsors"), promotional agencies, and members of their immediate family (spouse, father, mother, brothers, sisters, sons and daughters)
How do I submit an application?
Applications must be submitted through the online application available at www.topteenphilathropist.ca. We cannot accept entries by mail, fax, or e-mail.
How many prizes are given out?
There will be one (1) grand prize winner and five (5) runners-up.
What is the prizing for this contest?
The grand prize winner will receive a prize of $5,000 to go to directly to a charity of choice; plus he or she will win $2,500 cash for themselves, ideally to invest in an RESP and help save for their future education. Each of the five runners-up will receive $500 for their charity of choice and $500 cash for themselves.
What can I submit as supporting documentation?
Applicants may submit up to three (3) pieces of supporting documentation. Newspaper clippings, relevant photos, certificates, awards, etc. may be attached to your online application as supporting documentation. At this time, video(s) cannot be submitted as supporting documentation.
How do I submit supporting documentation with my application?
Please use the provided tool on the online application to upload up to three (3) pieces of supporting documentation. We cannot accept supporting documents by mail, fax, or e-mail.
What is the deadline for submissions?
Applications must be submitted by 3:00 pm EST on Thursday, December 5th, 2013.
How will the applications be judged?
Applications will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Reliability, persuasiveness, and inspirational qualities
- Originality and creativity of submission
- Overall quality of submission
- Supporting documentation
Finalists may also be interviewed by the program sponsors and/or administrators.
Who will be judging applications?
Mackenzie Investments has partnered with StudentAwards to manage the Canada’s Top Teen Philanthropist Contest. StudentAwards and Mackenzie Investments representatives as well as a panel of external judges will be involved in decision making for prize allocation. To see a list of external judges, please click here.
When will winners be notified?
Successful applicants will be notified in February 2014.
How is the prize money allocated?
If selected as a winner or runner-up, the prize money will be donated directly to the charity of your choice. The top winner will also receive a $2,500 cash prize for themselves, ideally to invest in an RESP and help save for their future education. The runners-up will also receive $500 cash for themselves.
Who do I contact if I need help with the program?
You can send your questions or comments to our Help Centre.
Or, you can reach us toll-free at 1-866-729-2737. Please reference the Canada’s Top Teen Philanthropist Contest when speaking to a Program Administrator.
I’m having trouble viewing the website, what can I do to fix the problem?
Here are some suggestions to fix any potential issues in viewing the website. If problems persist, please contact our Help Centre and inform them of the issue.
The online application works best when using the latest versions of all modern browsers.
Cookies: Please ensure your browser is set to accept cookies. Again, most browsers are set to accept cookies by default.